Memories of Summertime

In the summertime we kids

loved to play out of doors.
Some of us liked to ride
our horses.  I can remember
jumping fences with my
horse.  Then going fishing
at the "crick" down the road.

I can remember old Dusty
throwing me into a roll 
when he saw that electric
fence coming up on him.
That horse made me cry.

When we'd get home some 
of us would head to the pool.
I remember grabbing my 
bike to get there.

Sometimes if we were 
lucky, dad would load all 
five us on his motorcycle
and take us on a ride.  We 
always loved those times.

Other memories come and go.
Sometimes we would take
a ride in the trunk of the car,
or the Charlies Chips man would
pull up and we would run 
out to see what he had,
or the tea man would come 
with his baskets of goodies 
for us to choose from.

The milk would be delivered
to our shiny silver box in
its glass bottles with plastic caps,
and we would deliver newspapers,
collecting tips on Saturdays,
help out around the farm, or pick
fruit for the local stand.  We loved 
those strawberries, peaches, and 
blueberries - especially the ones 
that made it into our mouths.

Written by The Villa Poets, residents of Victorian Villa / Dallastown Nursing Center, York County, Pennsylvania - written in round-robin fashion (one resident adds a line or two as we go around the group).



Comments

Popular Posts