MY FATHER'S VOICE

I can hear his voice even though he is not here. 

A deep, quiet voice. "It'll get better before you get married," 

to calm 6-year-old me when I scraped my knee.

Or, "this is a Kentucky coffee bean. Put

it in your pocket and use it like a worry

stone." Or, "see that cloud? I'm going

to wish it away." Of course, the cloud 

goes away anyway, but with those words

he taught me patience and optimism.

I can hear him sing -- "This old man, he

played one, he played knick-knack on his

thumb," and "Who threw the overalls

in Mrs. Murphy's chowder?" I can hear

him tell the kids in the balcony at school

to "Listen up." He was their gym teacher

and they listened to him. I can hear him

start one of his many stories -- "This

one time ...." and I can hear him tell Koko,

the Chesapeake, "C'mon girl, it's time

to walk Annie home." I can hear his voice

-- a deep, quiet voice. I can hear it still

though the years have passed and he's not here.


**********


Poem by,

Ann E. Diviney  



Comments

Popular Posts