The River

The River water reflects a stirring of emotions hidden deep within my soul,
as it ebbs and surges to escape the torment of obstacles in its way.
The River water complains noisily as it overtakes stubborn sedimentary resistance
finding solace in circling pools of quiet eddies along its ever-changing bank.
As I journey downstream on the well-worn path alongside the meandering River,
the water speaks to me in utterances which give me comfort as I travel.
It is the timelessness of the River water in which I find peace and renewal
and offer a requiem for the ancients in whose footsteps I follow along the trail.
The River water moves beside me as it rises and falls in time with my pace,
yet it asks nothing in return for its priceless gift of solace and companionship.
The River water seeks no respite in its determination to always move forward,
anticipating a turbulent courtship with and ultimate embrace of bigger runs ahead.
The unrelenting flow of River water tugs at the hem of the fabric which cloaks my soul,
as it rushes into an expanse of glistening wonderment bringing sweet and cooler air.
Shedding the protection of darkness which conceals silent turmoil beneath its surface,
the River water soothes wounds suffered over time as it beckons to me along my journey.
The currents are swift, reluctant to reveal their primitive origins and traveled history
which remain well-hidden beneath the reflections on the surface of these ageless waters.
The siren’s sweet melody arouses and tempts me to expose secrets long concealed,
and this spiritual seduction releases primal currents within the core of my soul.
The River water washing over the rocks is as that which courses within each of us.
It does not diminish nor renew itself but remains constant and most vulnerable.
Without life-giving water within, there can be only a desert of time
and it is difficult not to look upstream and wonder if the waters will always be there.
Just as our flesh is but the whole cloth which cloaks and shields our souls
and our very being is nourished and cleansed by water within us,
so earthen tiers embrace and protect the River and the purity of the water they contain,
giving life to the worldly body we share and bringing peace to our restless spirits.
Just as we succumb to temptations which contaminate our souls and the water within us
leaving us defenseless to the impurities of living and aridly destitute of true peace,
so too, the layers of protective earth can be broken, exposing the sanctity of our River water
leaving us a future short-lived and victims of our own selfish design.

*****

Poem by, Thomas J. Simms
tjs1040@verizon.net

photo by Tom Johnson-Medland tomjohnsonmedland.com 

Comments

Popular Posts